Thursday, October 10, 2013

Three School In One Day


October 4, 2013
In trying to understand my problem a little bit more I decided to go to three different schools today to see if I can increase my data research.  I also have my question surveys ready to give out as well so I can understand how people are finding out about PEP.  I am taking public transportation to see if I could pick up any data on students traveling by the same means and realized this is going to be a long day.
My first stop is Balboa High School. When I got there the class was already over as it was a half day for the students that day.  Since I’m already here I decided to check out the school and see if I can find anything about PEP throughout the school such as posters on the walls. I didn’t find anything and thought I would try to speak with the counselors thinking that they would know about PEP and have tried to offer it to students.  Instead of meeting with a counselor I was greeted by the vice principal of the school and as I explained to her my reason for visiting I was kindly turned down and was informed that the students would know more about the class rather than the counselors.  I decided to give up because as much as I wanted to pursue in trying to get an audience with a counselor I didn’t want to risk losing my privilege of visiting the school.
Next I headed over to Skyline College.  There was not much of a difference in the class curriculum as the PEP teacher in Skyline told me.  He told me that the only difference between them and high schools was that they talk about the curriculum more and that students were more open to expressing their thoughts. I then stuck around for the class and handed over my surveys to get some data and quickly left right after as my next stop, Longfellow Elementary School is a long distance to get to.
Longfellow Elementary School was my last stop on the list and I got there early enough to see the parents waiting for their kids to be off school.  Most of them were grandparents and a few didn’t seem to speak English fluently and I realized grandparents are the ones who are picking up the kids in this school. I went in to the PEP class with the students being third graders and I was greeted with two teachers teaching the class. There was not much data I can gather with the students and I tried looking at the door to see if anyone would pass by.  In the end I didn’t get enough date needed for Longfellow and decided to come back again and try talking with the grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment